*Jams and Jellies* Tomato and Chilli Jam
A deliciously sweet jam. Keeps for about 3 months and once opened keep in the fridge.
(Makes about 6 small jars)
500g very ripe tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 large red chillies (seeds left in if you want your jam hot)
6-7cm piece of ginger root, sliced
300g golden caster sugar
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
100ml red wine vinegar
1. Blitz half the tomatoes with all the garlic, chillies and ginger in a food processor.
2. Pour into a heavy-based saucepan. Add the sugar, fish sauce and vinegar, and bring to the boil, stirring slowly.
3. Reduce to a simmer.
4. Dice the remaining tomatoes finely and add them to the pan.
5. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time. The mixture will turn slightly darker and sticky.
6. Store in warm dry sterilised jars and seal while the mixture is still warm. The longer you keep this jam the hotter it gets.