Shared by Alan at Loch Na Mhoid Community Garden in Black Isle on day 8 of the Culture Kitchen Relay. Serves 4.
125g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
1 egg yolk slightly beaten
150ml Black Isle Beer (or a golden pale ale)
1 tsp curry powder
1 egg white, whisked until still
225g coarsely grated vegetables (carrot, courgettes, squash etc.)
Sunflower/rapeseed oil for frying
1. Combine flour, salt, egg yolk, 1 tsp oil and beer together. Beat to a smooth batter.
2. Fold the curry powder and whisked egg white into the batter
3. Gently fold in the grated vegetables
4. Heat oil in a frying pan to a depth of about 2 cm
5. Drop large spoonfuls of batter mixture into the hot oil, spacing evenly
6. Cook for about 1 minute on each side
7. Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and let them drain on paper towels.
Many thanks to “The Boxing Clever Cookbook” by Jacqui Jones and Joan Willmot