Recipe shared by the Edible Gardening Project in their Field Kitchen at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh on day 5 of the Culture Kitchen Relay
500g potatoes (peeled if preferred) chopped into large chunks
50g unsalted butter
1 large onion
350g mixed vegetables; finely sliced cabbage, kale and kohl rabi
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g Isle of Mull grated cheddar cheese
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
2. Drain and return to the pan.
3. Add half of the butter to the potatoes and mash well.
4. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and fry the onions and mixed vegetables for a few minutes (approximately 5-10) until tender.
5. Add the mixed vegetables to the pan with the potatoes.
6. Stir in the grated cheese, heat through and serve.
7. Alternatively, if cooking inside with an oven, put the mix into an oven proof dish, sprinkle on more grated cheese and bake at 200°c until piping hot and golden brown on top.