Hazel and Beech Nut biscuits (Forage and Heal)
50g hazelnuts + beechnuts if available (removed from outer case and shells)
60g plus 3 tablespoons sugar
150g plain flour
150g cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, gas 4
2. Toast hazelnuts and beech nuts separately in hot oven for 5 minutes or so in a shallow baking pan until fragrant and skins begin to loosen. Rub nuts in a kitchen towel to remove any loose skins – you can blow the loose skins off.
3. Pulse nuts and 60g sugar in a food processor until nuts are finely ground.
4. Mix in flour, a pinch of salt and butter until dough just forms a ball.
5. Divide dough in half, then roll dough on a work surface lightly dusted with sugar and flour into 2 logs.
6. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
7. Cut logs crosswise and arrange rounds on baking sheet.
8. Bake till biscuits just begin to turn pale golden – 12 to 15 minutes.
9. Cool biscuits on sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to cooling rack and sprinkle with remaining sugar.