Hawthorn Berry Ketchup (Forage and Heal)
500g haw berries
300ml cider vinegar
2-4 dried chillies (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Strip the haw berries from their stalks then rinse in cold water.
2. Place in large pan with vinegar and water, bring to boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until the skins start to split.
3. Remove from the heat and rub the mixture through a sieve or pass it through a food mill to remove the large stones and skin.
4. Return the mixture to a clean pan, add the sugar and the chillies and gently heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the sauce reduces and becomes slightly syrupy. Remove the chillies if you want or leave in for a spicier flavour.
6. Season with salt and pepper then pour into sterilised bottles. Use within 12 months.