Haw Berry Sauce (Forage and Heal)
150ml cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
85g granulated sugar
1 star anise
½ cinnamon stick
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1. Put the haws, vinegar, garlic and bay leaf in a pan with 150ml water and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Pass through a plastic sieve.
3. Return to the cleaned pan and add the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to the boil the simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Pour into a warm, sterilized jar.
6. Leave for a few weeks before using and refrigerate once opened.