*Jams and Jellies* Rowan Jelly
1 kg rowan berries
1 kg crab apples
Sugar (approx. 900g)
1. Remove any stalks, bad bits and leafy bits but don’t peel or core, just roughly chop.
2. Place prepared fruit in a saucepan with 1.2 litres water
3. Bring gently to simmering point then simmer until all the fruit is soft.
4. Leave to cool slightly then allow contents of pan to drip through a jelly bag overnight. If you squeeze it the jelly will be cloudy.
5. Add juice of 1 lemon to the liquid.
6. Measure the juice and for every 600ml juice add 450g sugar
7. Put the juice into a large pan, add lemon juice, then bring slowly to the boil
8. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, then boil rapidly for 9-10 minutes until setting point is reached.
9. Pot and seal the jars and use within 12 months