*Jams and Jellies* Hedgerow Cordial
A selection of hedgerow fruits and berries – e.g. rowan, hawthorn, rosehips, elderberries, brambles, crab apples, apples, plums, pears, currants
Cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise
1. Freeze the berries if there has not been a frost to help sweeten them.
2. Put all the fruit and berries in a large pan, cover with water and add some cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise.
3. Bring to a simmer and then cook for 20 minutes or till all the fruit and berries are cooked and very soft.
4. Strain the juice from the fruits, pushing through a fine sieve or muslin and return to a clean pan.
5. Add sugar to taste, stir till dissolved and simmer for a further 15 minutes to reduce a bit.
6. Pour into sterilised bottles and seal.
7. Dilute with sparkling water, lemonade or hot water