*Jams and Jellies* Apple and Herb Jellies
1 medium bunch herbs e.g. rosemary (goes well with soft cheeses), sage (goes well with fish), mint (goes well with lamb)
Granulated sugar (amount varies – please see point 5 of method)
100ml cider vinegar
1. Roughly chop apples, discard bad bits but don’t peel or core.
2. Place in preserving pan with herbs and barely cover with water.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer gently, covered, for 45 mins to 1 hour.
4. Tip into jelly bag and let drip over night.
5. Measured strained juice and for every 600ml weigh 450g sugar.
6. Return the juice to a clean pan with the vinegar.
7. Heat to boiling then add sugar and stir until dissolved.
8. Increase heat and boil rapidly for 10 – 12 mins or until setting point reached.
9. For stronger flavour add 3-4 tsp chopped herbs to jelly and leave to cool for 10mins before pouring into sterilized jars, cover and seal immediately.